Monday, December 6, 2010

Ronald Reagan Library


Last Saturday we got to go on a field trip with Morgan and her Activity girls to the Ronald Reagan Library. I've heard about it but have never been there. It was SO cool!! Jeff and Addison had an Eagle project to help out with that morning so they didn't get to go. We're going to have to go again so they can see everything.

Activity Girls
Bridgett- Natalie- Katelyn- Morgan- Meaghen- Olivia

My great kids who did an awesome job walking around and learning about everything. Westley did a great job and helped our tour guide out with the map. He was loving all the planes.. poor guy, his first time on an airplane and it's Air Force One!! haha

Morgan- Sydney- Westley

Our first stop.....
The Oval Office

Did you know that President Reagan's favorite candy was Jelly Belly's? We noticed that there were jars everywhere! In the plane, on his desk, gift shop of course, even in the replica dollhouse of the White House!!

Outside they have an actual piece of the Berlin wall.

Can you tell which side was the "happy" side?

This whole month they have a Christmas tree decorated for every decade that the United States has been around. Some that I remember the most were the ones decorated for the Civil War, one for the Railroad, the roaring 20's, the 80's and the decade we're in today with stuff like Facebook, twitter, cellphones, ipods.... The girls had fun checking each tree out and seeing all the things that happened during those 10 years.

This tree was from the 50's. Morgan had my camera and we didn't put it on a setting that took indoor pics without a flash... no flash allowed!!

In the middle of the room with all the trees was a HUGE White House! It was amazing all the detail that went into making this. A glorified dollhouse!!!



This is the back side that's open so you can look into each room. They were even decorated for Christmas!!

Westley's favorite part...

Air Force One!!

Air Force One was really cool. We were able to go inside and see everything. Presidents Reagan's office and the First Lady's office. The board room, the cock-pit, gallery and where all those other people sat. President Reagan always had a cake on board just in case it was some one's birthday or anniversary! So they could celebrate in the air!

After they landed the hopped into this helicopter to take them to where ever else. Like their getaway 21 miles north of Santa Barbara!

This is the F14 that used to fly next to Air Force One to protect it. They don't use these anymore because they were too expensive to fix.

President Ronald Reagan is buried here too, with a spot for his wife (who's 89 years old now). This next February he would of been 100 years old.


It will be nice to go back and take more time reading everything. It was a great day learning about one of our Presidents and all the things that went on while he was President.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

That sounds like an awesome activity. I remember learning about the jelly belly when we visited the factory and saw the portrait of Ronald Reagan made out of jelly bellies.

tphillips said...

WOW! that looks SO awesome! Your post has definitely made me HAVE to go there!! thanks for sharing...glad you and your kids had a good time!

RachelAA said...

Ok I so didn't get a thorough tour when I was there - this makes me want to go back!!!

KickButtMommy said...

That's it. I am going to have to go there.

mlauricella said...

I've always wondered what was there. Thanks for sharing.

Rojahn Family said...

Okay like, for sure we have to visit this place!!! I can't wait. I looks awesome! I've never even known about it til you guys went! Hellooooo!