Thursday, February 7, 2008

The ups and downs

I haven't written much about the going ons with this pregnancy. I've been kindof of a stress case lately and finally can write about it, the reason for the amnio, bed rest and seeing a specialist.

The day I found out we were having a girl I also found out she has something abnormal in her brain. It's called a Choroid Plexus Cyst. WHAT? Never heard of it. I looked it up on the internet and if you want to read about it here it is. If not skip down to the end.

Choroid plexus cysts (CPCs) are cysts that occur within choroid plexus of the brain. The brain contains pockets or spaces called ventricles with a spongy layer of cells and blood vessels called the choroid plexus. This is in the middle of the fetal brain. The choroid plexus has the important function of producing a fluid called cerebrospinal fluid. The fluid produced by the cells of the choroid plexus fills the ventricles and then flows around the brain and the spinal cord to provide a cushion of fluid around these structures.
CPCs can form within this structure and come from fluid trapped within this spongy layer of cells, much like a soap bubble or a blister. CPCs are often called "soft signs" or fetal ultrasound "markers" because some studies have found a weak association between CPCs and fetal chromosome abnormalities.(such as Downs Syndrome)
It is believed that many adults have one or more tiny CPCs.[1] CPCs have no impact on an individual's health or development or learning. The fetal brain may create these cysts as a normal part of development. They are temporary and usually are gone by the 32nd week of pregnancy.

So, has anyone heard of this before? My blood work for downs syndrome came back good but to put my mind at ease my doctor sent me to a specialist. Another doctor another ultrasound. Yes, there is a CPC but her hands are open which is a very good sign. But, you should talk to the genetic counselor incase of chromosome abnormalities and decide to get an amnio done.

So, off to the genetic counselor a few days later. She called the lab and got my results of all my blood work (remember the 6 vials of blood they took from me?) My numbers on all the tests look GREAT but to know for SURE get an amnio done. Agh! I did it and had to be on bedrest for 2 days-- which I have to admit was VERY nice, and results would be in 7-10 days. I also need to mention that everytime I go to the doctor I cry and can't stop. Darn hormones!

Today being the 9th day I called the doctor to find out my results. The lab called me and a cheerful lady told me my good news. My little girl has all 46 chromosomes. No more and no less!! She told me congratulations and to enjoy the next 31/2 months.

It would of been okay if I was sent a baby with a genetic problem, a special child for me to take care of. But, was still so happy when I got off the phone (yes, cried again!) and found out everything is okay. I know that my prayers were answered and thank our families for keeping us in their prayers.

Life was so much easier back when I was pregnant with Addison and Morgan. I had one ultrasound with each of them and was able to enjoy the next eight months. I've already had five ultrasounds with this one!

I have alot to do in the next 3 and 1/2 months. Have to get Morgan's room liveable for two girls! I'm still taking it easy, especially this week having Westley home sick for three days. We've been taking lots of naps together and playing video games (yup even me!)

10 comments:

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

Hooray for good news and healthy babies! Isn't it amazing how these little miracles really are just that.

KickButtMommy said...

Congrats. My friend Melinda is ready to pop any day and her little guy has 2 of those cysts. She decided against an amnio because her U/S looked so good.

With Ella they told me she had a 1 in 20 chance of down syndrome. I had the amnio and was very relieved when they called with good news. It is a LONG two weeks.

Tamara said...

So glad for the good news. Can you feel some of that stress slipping away?

Good luck getting Morgan's room ready for 2 girls. That is always fun, and then we got to do it again and get it ready for 3 girls. Good thing it is a good size room.

Kristie said...

I'm so happy to hear the good news - and can't wait to meet the little squirt. See you next weekend!!

little miss shortcake said...

Hooray for the good news!

Jamie said...

I am so glad to hear the good news! Take it easy...milk that pregnancy for all it's worth!

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear all is well.

Family Misadventures said...

I am so glad you posted. I've been anxious with you! I'm excited with you and am in full bow making status for her! Then again, I am stuck in bed with Tyler and pneumonia!

Luis and Katie De Leon said...

I'm so glad that you got good news. I know being pregnant that you just want a healthy baby (and like you said, even if there were genetic problems, you'd still love them). Glad you're feeling better.

Kimberly said...

What a scare. I'm glad to hear your little girl is just fine.